Sunday, May 1, 2011

Appalachian Mountain Coal Art




Welcome back!

I mentioned in an earlier blog post (Please see the April 10 post.) that I take pieces of genuine Appalachian Mountain coal and make them into mini works of art.  In today's post, I'll explain in more detail how I go about creating my coal pieces.

First of all, I go to one of our local coal companies in Southwest Virginia to collect the coal I'll need for my projects.  The people there are kind and accomodating as they always give me a handful of coal which I need for my artistic creations.


   
Just recently, I talked with general employee, Steve, at Rick Begley Coal & Construction about the coal they have, and he told me that their coal comes from both deep and surface mining.  They have two types of coal, stoker and lump.  I use the stoker coal for my jewelry and magnets, and the lump for my paper weights.


                              End-of-Season Coal Piles at Rick Begley's Coal & Construction






























After I get home with my raw material, I wash it thoroughly to get rid of any dust, and oil (which was put on the coal to keep down excess dust).  When I decide what I'm going to make the pieces into, I use my own secret process to form the coal into the size and general shape I need them to be in.  Then, I either hand paint (using a very small brush!) or decoupage my own design on each one, unless I'm going to leave the piece plain.  Next, I glue on any backs or whatever is needed.  Finally, I coat each piece with a protective medium and put them on my own cards, etc.  I always try to sign or initial each piece that I've worked with.























































A lot of work goes into the manufacturing of my coal art, but I try to keep my prices affordable.

One of my local coal art outlets is the Clapboard House in Wise County Virginia.
FYI:
The Clapboard House
P. O. Box 1489
Wise, VA 24293
(276)328-4470
web address: http://www.clapboardhouse.com/

Please contact me if you're interested in buying any of the coal pieces on this blog post or you'd like a custom-designed piece or have a question.

F.Y.I.: e-mail address:  beckyarnottartist@gmail.com

Positive thought: May everyone you meet be followers of The Golden Rule!

Thanks for visiting!  Until next time, (Sunday, May 8), Becky

No comments: