Sunday, April 3, 2011

Some Positive Ideas

Welcome back!

This week I'd like to share with you some ideas that have helped me live a more positive life.

First of all, every morning when I first awaken, I make a mental list of all of the things that I'm looking forward to, during the coming day.  Doing this simple exercise helps me start off on the right foot as it sets the tone for the whole day.

Then, at the end of the day, I write down all of the positive things that happened to me that day in my thankful journal.  It's amazing, because most of the time, I have far more good things that happened to me than I had imagined earlier that morning.  I guess looking for the positive attracts the positive.  Also, when I write in my thankful journal, I see how truly blessed I am. 

Two more ideas that have helped me are having pets and having hobbies.

For most of my life, I have had pets of some kind-either dogs, cats, or birds, etc.  Right now, my husband and I have two adorable cats ( Aren't they all! ) that we adopted from our local animal shelter.  ( I donate a percentage of all of my commissioned pet portraits to one of our local shelters, as animal shelters, everywhere, in general, need all the support they can get.)  Adopting or buying the right kind of pet can be beneficial and life-enriching in many ways for all types of families, from those with children to those who live alone.


                                                           Commissioned Pet Portrait


Another positive in my life is having several hobbies that I really enjoy because I can do them just for fun.  I throw away any pressure or perfectionism while engaging in hobbies.  I feel that they should be relaxing as well as engrossing.  Becoming better at a hobby is fine, but it shouldn't become a chore.

One of my very favorite hobbies is photography.  ( "Taking pictures" would be a better description of what I do for I am certainly no expert!  That's OK because that's not my goal ; I simply love what I do- documenting the events of my life.)  My camera is inexpensive and easy to use.  My husband and I have many photo albums we've collected throughout the years, as well as a growing collection of photos stored on our computer.  Looking at these photos helps us reminisce about days gone by, which is very uplifting.

There are beaucoups of hobbies out there. Which one to choose is strictly a matter of preference.  What about you?  Is there some hobby you've thought about starting, but never quite got around to doing?  Is there a hobby you had as a child, and might want to try again as an adult?  Have no idea for a hobby?  Ideas can come from books, magazines, on line, and from visiting your nearest hobby store.




                                              The Beautiful Appalachians of North Carolina


Please note: In addition to my weekly Sunday blog post, this Wednesday (April 6) I plan to start my weekly restaurant of the week blog post review.  Hope you can be here for that!

Positive thought: Accentuate the positive!

Thanks for visiting!  Until next time, Becky

No comments: