Sunday, March 26, 2023

Friendships

 

First of all, during this time period in our lives, we all need people we can count on, to confide in, and to celebrate with, in victories both large and small. Instead of pulling apart, we need to stand together, united. These people might be in our family or they may be outside of our family. In any case, anyone who cares about us as we do them would be considered our friends.

Traditional friends could be childhood friends, teenage friends, workplace friends, social friends, or lifelong friends. We might see these friends often, but there may be others that we connect with only occasionally.

Some might come into our lives for a while, and then go out as quickly as they came, but we can learn something from every type of friendship.

In my newly revised book, "Down Memory Lane,"* I mention friendships.

Here are some things that weren't in my book, but they could have been:

I was invited to go on a cruise to the Bahamas by two of my friends who are sisters. I'd never been on a cruise before, and it was quite an adventure, soaking up all of the local culture and the sun, and enjoying the fun and fellowship.

With One of My Friends (Incognito) in the Bahamas

One day on the cruise, we got off at one stop, and we decided we wanted mangos. We didn't have any transportation so we had to walk, and it wasn't a short stroll. I don't remember how good the mangos were after we got them, but I do remember that my brand new sandals were in shreds when we got back from our little walk! I also remember how one of us had said, "I'd walk a mile for a mango!"

We were all single girls, having a lot of fun, but none of us had any shipboard romances like on "The Love Boat" which was a popular television comedy/drama from 1977-1987. However, after our cruise, a few months later, I was lucky to have found Greg who became my best friend and soulmate, and six months later, we were married. My friend from the cruise (pictured above) was my maid of honor at our wedding.

When I was growing up, everybody on our part of the street in our small town knew each other, and some even became friends. I dated a couple of the guys, and some of the other people and I are still in contact.

The last few years, one of my childhood friends has been sending me little gifts that had belonged to my grandparents which they had given to her grandmother. I really cherish these since I love memorabilia, especially things that belonged to my family members that have passed on. I'm sending my friend a copy of my latest book.* (My friend [Susie] is also mentioned in my book.)

Those early times seemed simpler, more wonderful, because now, most people in neighborhoods hardly know each other. It would be great to get back to that same sense of camaraderie. We need it now more than ever!

*For more information about my book, please see the widget above.

Small Business Feature: Adda Leah Davis, Appalachian Author

FYI: https://addaleahdavis.com

I'd like to tell you about a local Appalachian author in Virginia,  Adda Leah Davis, who has written several books including "The Beckoning Hills," "The Whisperer," (a mystery), "Lucinda's Mountain," and "A Heaven Sent Wife," to mention a few.

This prolific author is currently writing yet another book, and it should be equally as good as the others are.

If you love Appalachia, as I do, please be sure and check out her wonderful website. Bet you'll be glad you did!

PS: Addie knows the value of friendship since she really cherishes her friends.

Positive thought: "Friends make the world beautiful." - Unknown

Thanks for visiting! Until Sunday, April 9, 2023, Becky



No comments: