Sunday, May 29, 2022

Go with the Flow, Etc.

 

So many times we try to make things happen, to do it our way, to force things to be the way we think they should be.

The truth is, there may be one or more possibilities out there that are better than anything we could ever imagine.

For example, the first few years of our marriage, Greg and I lived in rented apartments. We wanted a house of our own, but we didn't know if that would even be possible anytime soon.

Then, one day, when Greg and I were traveling, we took a wrong turn and went down a street where we'd never been before. Not far down that road, we saw a house that we really liked. It was a Cape Cod in a rather run-down condition, but we decided that with some work, it could become the house of our dreams.

Before

We were, however, concerned that we couldn't afford it, but after some creative financing, the pretty diamond-in-the-rough, fixer-upper house became ours. 

After

We really enjoyed fixing it up and having it the way we wanted it to be. We lived there happily for several years.*

We sold that house, and we bought two other houses to renovate. We sold those, and we're currently living in an old (1901) house that we're also renovating.

That "wrong turn" that we took those many years ago turned out to be a right turn for us! 

One day, I went shopping for a package of ink pens, but when I looked for them, I couldn't find the ones I'd been using. I even went to several stores, looking for that particular brand of pen. When I still couldn't locate the pens, I finally resigned myself to buy another brand.

When I got home, I tried out one of the new pens, and to my great surprise, it was actually better than the type that I'd been using for years! The new one was smooth and didn't skip at all. I couldn't believe that I'd become so attached to the old pens, that in reality, they weren't doing a very good job!

Also, just recently, I lost a small, natural stone that I was wearing as a pendant. I wore it a lot, and I miss it, but I feel confident that I'll find another one just as nice, if not better than that one.

Rather than trying to make things happen, just go with flow,** and notice how much smoother everything goes. We just need to have a positive attitude, to do the best we can, and to know with God's help that everything will turn out for the best.

Also, at the same time, I think we need to keep in mind that it's good to have nice things in our lives, but instead of counting on material things to keep us happy, it's far more important to cultivate good qualities in ourselves, like kindness, compassion, love (for ourselves, as well as others), (and being positive!), etc. So, "things" should just be sidelines.

Something kind we can do is to support small business, especially right now.

When Greg and I can't find things we need from small businesses locally or from small businesses when we're traveling, we seek out small businesses online, like the ones on eBay and Etsy, which are reputable companies. You can find some nice things for reasonable prices from good online vendors.

After buying something from these online sellers, it can make us feel good to get something we needed and wanted and at the same time, to know that we've helped someone else.

Many of these vendors are so appreciative that they send little hand-written notes that say something like, "Thank you for supporting my small business," "Thank you! xoxo, Karen," and also-

One person even sent me "Bible" passages, and offered to pray for anyone who needed prayers.

We are all one, and we need to love and support each other now, as never before.

Memorial Day-In Honor of Our Heroes

*Although we loved our pretty house, we gradually found out that it was actually haunted! For more information, please see my book, "Photographic Encounters of the Spirit Kind," in which I describe in words and pictures our encounters with the supernatural, there, as well as other places. Just click the widget above which will take you to my book which is on Amazon Kindle. Also, you might enjoy my memoir, "Down Memory Lane." For more information, and to buy this memoir which is in both paperback and Kindle, please see the widget above.

**This flow doesn't just pertain to things, it also can include people, careers, as well as infinite other possibilities for one's life. (For example, I just happened to be on an outing one day when I ran into a man who told me about a job opening, and because of that chance meeting, I ended up getting my first teaching job!)

Positive thought: "Life doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." -Unknown

Thanks for visiting! Until Sunday, June 12, 2022, Becky

No comments: