Sunday, May 18, 2014

Be True to Yourself!

Welcome!

This blog post was inspired by a book I'm currently reading, "You are a Medium" by Sherrie Dillard.   Although I'm not particularly interested in being a medium or in communicating with the other side, I am interested in knowing more about the spirit world since I have been given the gift of being able to take paranormal photos which I've documented in my first book, "Photographic Encounters of the Spirit Kind."

However, "You are a Medium" is not just about the spirit world.  It tells you how to live a better life here on Earth, as well.  For instance, I really like the chapter "Embrace Your Freedom: Break Free from Conformity" in which Sherrie says to be true to yourself, to express who you truly are.  To quote from her book, she says, "You are not meant to follow the dictates of others.  A unique and individual expression of the divine, you fulfill your purpose by shining bright in your beauty."

I have tried being like everyone else, to fit in, but that has not worked for me.  I'm much happier when I listen to my inner guidance and just try to be myself.

"Every time you don't follow your inner guidance, you feel a loss of energy, loss of power, a sense of spiritual deadness."
-Shakti Gawain

Carol Tuttle, the author of several books and creator of "Dressing Your Truth" is a big advocate of being true to yourself.  Her teachings have helped me immensely.  In fact, I wrote an earlier (2/15/14) blog post entitled, "Dressing Your Truth Has Had a Positive Impact on My Life."

Another person I admire is Zak Bagans, the creator and host of Travel Channel's hit show, "Ghost Adventures."  This is a unique man who has been true to himself despite having a controversial show about ghosts, etc.  In fact, as a child, he was even bullied by others, presumably because he was different.  Wonder what the bullies think of this successful man now?

"Never be bullied into silence.  Never allow yourself to be made a victim.  Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
-Harvey Fierstein

Elvis Presley was another one of-a-kind person, and people embraced that.  Other people have tried to copy him (impersonators, etc.), but, of course, none are as good as the original.


Be unique!  Be proud of who you are! 

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
-Judy Garland

People, happily, are just like snowflakes, no two are exactly alike.  That's what makes the world so interesting.

As I was writing this post, a song kept running through my mind, "I've Gotta Be Me," which I haven't heard or thought of in a while.  After a little research, I found out it was a song sung by Sammy Davis, Jr. which I found on YouTube.  It's a beautiful song that you might want to check out for inspiration.

Positive thought:
 "When you dance to your own rhythm,
Life taps its toes to your beat."
-Terri Guillemets
Thanks for visiting!  Until next Sunday, Becky




No comments: