Sunday, March 25, 2012

Retro Living

Welcome!

(Please note, because of all of the projects with which I am currently involved, I have decided to write my blog posts only on a limited basis for a while.  I'll either have an abbreviated version of the post, or no blog posts some weeks.  Any blog posts I publish will still be posted on Sundays.  Thanks and love, Becky)



                                                      Preview of a Future Blog Post

Recently, Greg and I enjoyed watching one of our DVD's that featured comedies of the '50's.  One of the shows depicted a family of four at mealtime, gathered around the dinner table, discussing the events of the day.  The mother was wearing a dress, partially covered by a pretty apron.  She was serving a meal she had lovingly prepared herself.  The father was in business attire, since he'd just come home from a day at work.  The two children were clean-cut and polite.  This charming scene was perhaps somewhat idealized, but, actually, not too far from the truth.  It was so refreshing to watch this show from the past, because it made us feel so good.  There was gentle humor and a respect for others.  There was even a moral to the story.  What an example shows of that era set for their audiences!  (At the risk of sounding negative, moralistic, and "square,"  the truth is, in my opinion, that, unfortunately, most of the comedies of today are nothing more than junk, and smut, passed off as sophistication!)

I began thinking more about how wonderful that time period seemed.  It was a simpler time without all the high-tech gadgets, etc. of today. 

There are, now, however, some modern conveniences in our lives that most of us would not give up for anything.  For example, I'm so thankful for the dishwasher, because without it, I'd never get the dishes done!  I am also attached to my computer, cell phone, and improved household appliances.  (I don't believe I need to elaborate on the benefits of those items!)

Beyond the above-mentioned items, however, most of the newer high-tech items are not for us.  In many respects, I guess you'd say that Greg and I actually live somewhat of a retro lifestyle.  For instance, we don't even own a microwave.  (When I mentioned this fact to one of my relatives, she compared me to Tasha Tudor [an American artist who lived a retro lifesytyle] which I took as a compliment!)  Most of the meals I fix are more or less from scratch.



 Greg says he enjoys my meals, but, believe me, I'm no (Fill in the blank with the name of your favorite TV chef!).

We take herbs instead of medicine and use natural cleansers instead of the usual toxic ones.

During warmer weather, we open our windows instead of turning on any air conditioning (which is cheaper!).

I still enjoy sending people note cards and greeting cards.

We don't do text messaging and aren't interested in owning any of the latest high-tech, constantly-evolving array of hand-held devices that quickly become obsolete only to be replaced by other short-lived devices.

Instead of video games, we prefer Chinese checkers and card games.





                                   Sometimes Kallie even enjoys getting in on the fun!


Instead of watching TV, we'd rather sit on the front porch and enjoy the natural beauty of our area and check out the animals across the road.




We take long walks instead of being slaves to the modern lifestyle.

However, I still don't bake my own bread from scratch or make my own clothes, and probably never will   (I'm afraid I'd never have made a very good pioneer or even a home ec. major like my aunt!), but I don't have to.  Greg and I do what we feel is right for us.  We make our own personal rules which anyone can easily do.

The way we live our lives may not be for everyone, but it suits us just fine.  In fact,  living retro is not going backwards, for us, it's simply going in the right direction.




Featured Photo:



   Several of us recently helped Mike celebrate his birthday at a wonderful party after having supper out.

Positive thought: Be yourself, not what others expect you to be.

Thanks for visiting!
Until another time on a Sunday, Becky

No comments: