Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Fourth of July

 

Today, I have a patriotic post for a patriotic day, the Fourth of July, a very important day in the history of our great country, the United States of America!

Through words and pictures, I'd like to help celebrate the liberty, the freedom that we now have for which our forefathers so bravely fought.

Just a few days ago, I came across this post card (below) when I was looking through some old photographs that had belonged to Greg's parents. The post card depicts the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It is from a painting by the artist John Trumbull. (This post card is now proudly displayed in our new memorabilia room since freedom means so much to us.)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." -From "The Declaration of Independence" (1776)

Some patriots, including Greg's fourth great-grandfather, John Arnot, are honored on this stone in Bent Creek Cemetery in Whitesburg, Tennessee because they fought in the Revolutionary War. (Please see my related "The Art of Positive Living" blog post, "Honoring a Patriot," on 6/6/21 for more about John Arnot.)

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!' -Patrick Henry

Local patriots proudly show their true patriotic colors-

"My patriotic heart beats red, white, and blue." -Anonymous

"Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit." -Ronald Reagan

"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me....God bless the U. S. A." -Lee Greenwood

(For real inspiration, check out the Lee Greenwood "God Bless the U. S. A." videos on Youtube.)

"From every mountainside, let freedom ring." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam, God bless America, my home sweet home." -Irving Berlin

"And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there, O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?" -Francis Scott Key (from "The Star-Spangled Banner," the United States national anthem)

Small Business Feature:

At the Wayne Scott Strawberry Festival in Unicoi, Tennessee in May, I met an artist who owns a small business, Old House Art. Her abstract pieces are really pretty, colorful. She not only paints pictures, but she makes jewelry, as well.

I loved her earrings so much, that I bought a pair. They were reasonably priced, too!

"I believe in America because we have great dreams, and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true." -Wendell Willkie

I'm remembering my parents on their wedding anniversary. They married on the Fourth of July. That day was, of course, extra special for them. And, they were extra special, too.

I've been featuring cats quite a bit lately, so I decided that it was time to feature a dog on this blog post. It's only fair to the dogs and for those who love them!

Dog Feature:

Here's a rescue dog that was at the Unicoi Strawberry Festival that was hoping to be adopted. Bet someone picked up this little guy pretty quickly! What a cutie!

FYI

Did you know that there's another special day in July that is not that well-known? It's "National Ice Cream Day" which is the third Sunday in July. This year it's on July 18. Hope to see you at the ice cream parlor!

Oh, and have a Happy Fourth of July!

Positive thought: "Remember: light overcomes the darkness, good overcomes evil, love overcomes hate, and positive overcomes the negative, always."-Becky Arnott

Thanks for visiting! Until Sunday, August 1, 2021, Becky












 

No comments: